Monday, June 8, 2009

Chills and thrills

It's been a chilly spring, so when I planted some nasturtium seeds recently, it took more than a week for them to sprout, even though they were in peat pots indoors, where it's marginally warmer than outside.

I like cool weather, but I'm also anxious to try a new (to me, at least) variety of cucumbers, called Rocky. They're a seedless, baby (3 1/2" long) variety that the Johnny's catalog describes as having "very early maturity with high yields."

These seeds were a bit of a splurge ($5 for eight -- yes, 8 -- seeds), but they looked so amazing I couldn't resist. What I didn't notice when we ordered them was that they germinate best at 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit! My house is running about 60 degrees right now, and even with a heat mat under them, the soil probably wouldn't hit 70 degrees yet.

Fortunately, the plan is to take advantage of their early maturity, and grow them in the bed that will be vacated by the onions in July. I'm just hoping we'll hit temperatures in the 70s indoors before then so I can maximize the germination of these expensive seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment